I understand that today is National Coffeecake Day* in the US. As I started my day in Germany and will end it in Spain, I’ll be celebrating with coffeecake in the EU, which probably doesn’t have a designated Coffeecake Day, and I’m okay with that. The King Arthur Flour people shared a recipe for their favorite Sour Cream Coffeecake, and it’s the one I plan to try.
Sour Cream Coffeecake
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup sugar (I’d try half brown sugar here, I think)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I’m tempted to put part of this in the cake)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 1/2″ tube pan, or a 9″ x 9″ pan.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream or yogurt, stirring after each addition.
- To make the topping, combine all of the topping ingredients, stirring until evenly crumbly.
- Spread half the batter in the pan, and sprinkle with half the topping mixture. Repeat with the remaining batter and topping.
- Bake the coffeecake for 30 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Glass pans may take an additional 5 to 10 minutes to bake through completely.
- Remove the cake from the oven; if you’ve baked it in a tube pan, wait 10 minutes, loosen the edges, and carefully turn it out of the pan. Place the cake right-side up (topping up) on a plate to serve. If you’ve baked the cake in a 9″ x 9″ pan, just serve it right from the pan.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature. Wrap the completely cooled cake airtight, and store at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Do you have a favorite coffeecake recipe? I’d love to hear about it.
*Acknowledging that National [insert some random thing] Days may not be worth the pixels that spell them out, I do like coffeecake, so I’m just going to go with it.
[Image: King Arthur Flour]